APRIL 2021 DIOCESAN CIRCULARDominic
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord:
Grace and Peace of the Lord be with you.
- The Month of April: Welcome to the 4th month of the year. A month in which we begin the celebration of Easter. Throughout this month, the Church calls us to the celebration of the gift of New Life in Christ. During this season, the Paschal Candle is a central symbol of the Divine light, which is Christ risen from the dead. Easter time is the most important season of all liturgical times. There are 50 days of Easter from Easter Sunday to Pentecost. The season is characterized by the joy of victory over death and sin, expressed fully in the resounding cry of the great Alleluia! As we celebrate Easter this year, may this season bring us glad tidings and God’s blessings.
- Pope’s Intention for the month of April 2021: Fundamental Rights: We pray for those who risk their lives while fighting for fundamental rights under dictatorships, authoritarian regimes and even in democracies in crisis.
- Bishop’s Intention for the month of April 2021:For the Youth: That they may always seek the path of truth and sincere love for the Church in their present and future endeavors amidst the insecurities within the country.
- Easter Triduum Celebrations:
- Holy Thursday: We implore that the act of washing of feet should be done in accordance with the liturgical rites. However, Priests are encouraged to wash their hands properly and sanitize them after carrying out the washing.
- Good Friday: There should be no individual Veneration of the Cross by kissing. Other acts of veneration like bowing, touching and silent meditation before the cross may be used.
- The rest of the Triduum should follow the liturgical rites as prescribed. We expect Parish Priests to enforce strict observance of the COVID-19 regulations like the proper use of face mask, hand sanitizers and social distancing.
- Lenten Reflection 2021: We thank and appreciate the Social Communications Commission for organizing and putting together Lenten reflection for 2021. You can still follow activities of the Diocese as it happens on all our Social media handle. They are:
YouTube: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode Nigeria
Facebook: “I-partner Ijebu-ode” and “The Partner Newspaper”
- Novena to the Divine Mercy: As a continuation of the call for monthly Novena for the intentions of our Diocese, healing of our world from Covid-19 pandemic, I invite you to take up the Novena to the Divine Mercy. This Novena will begin on April 2nd – 10th, 2021. The Divine Mercy Sunday comes up on April 11, 2021. May I enjoin all Parish Priests, Superiors and Chaplains to kindly ensure that this novena is carried out in all Parishes, schools, convents and formation houses across the Diocese.
- Liturgical Directive: In accordance with the directive of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, “one” is to be removed before “God, forever and ever” in collects and other prayers. This directive comes into effect in Nigeria as from the Solemnity of the Holy Trinity Sunday, May 30, 2021.
- Parishes in the Deaneries: With the creation of new Deaneries announced at the Chrism Mass held on 31st March, 2021, the jurisdiction of Deaneries in the Diocese have been redefined. The following is a list of the Deaneries and the Parishes in each of them:
- IJEBU-ODE DEANERY: Rev. Fr. Gabriel Oresegun (Dean)
- St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral, Odo-Egbo, Ijebu-Ode
- St. Anthony’s Catholic Parish, Ejinrin Road
- St. Timothy’s Catholic Parish, Degun
- Sacred Heart Catholic Quasi-Parish, Kajola
- Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Quasi-Parish, Oke-Owa
- Blessed Tansi and St. Paul of the Cross Independent Stations, Ijebu-Ode
- St. Francis Catholic Quasi-Parish, Odo-Aye
- Sacred Heart Catholic College, Owakurudu
- ILOTI DEANERY: Rev. Fr. John Andison Anyanwu (Dean)
- St. John the Evangelist Catholic Parish, Iloti
- Holy Spirit Catholic Parish, Isiwo
- Corpus Christi Catholic Parish, Ikoto
- Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Parish, Ilado
- St. Francis Catholic Parish, Ibefun
- Sacred Heart Catholic Quasi-Parish, Egbe
- Christ The King Catholic College, Odolewu
- SAGAMU DEANERY: Msgr. Victor Ajayi (Dean)
- St. Anthony’s Catholic Parish, Ayegbami
- Holy Family Catholic Parish, G.R.A., Sagamu
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Quasi-Parish, Ajaka
- St. Francis Catholic Parish, Likosi
- St. Mary’s Catholic Parish, Ogijo
- IPERU DEANERY: Rev. Fr. Uchechukwu Okocha (Dean)
- St. John Vianney Catholic Parish, Iperu
- St. Michael Catholic Parish, Ilishan
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Quasi-Parish, Ogere
- St. John The Evangelist Catholic Parish, Odogbolu
- St. Philip’s Catholic Quasi-Parish, Okun Owa
- IJEBU-IGBO DEANERY: Very Rev. Fr. Patrick Balogun (Dean)
- St. Peter Catholic Parish, Oke-Sopen, Ijebu-Igbo
- Holy Angels Catholic Parish, Oke-Agbo, Ijebu-Igbo
- St. Michael Catholic Parish, Ago-Iwoye
- St. Joseph Catholic Parish, Oru
- Holy Trinity Catholic Parish, Awa-Ilaporu
- Holy Trinity Catholic Parish, Imomo
- Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Parish, Atan
- ESURE DEANERY: Rev. Fr. Peter Adesanya (Dean)
- Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Parish, Esure
- St. Patrick Catholic Parish, Ikija
- St. Louis Catholic Parish, Ijebu-Ife
- St. Francis Catholic Parish, Itele
- Queen of Apostles Military Chaplaincy, Ilese Barracks
- OGBERE DEANERY: Rev. Fr. Peter Ayanbadejo (Dean)
- St. Mary Catholic Parish, Ogbere
- St. Anne Catholic Parish, Itasin-Imobi
- St. Kizito Catholic Parish, Iwopin
- Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Parish, J6
- St. Thomas Catholic Parish, Agbure
Educational Institutions, Health Institutions, Religious Congregations (male and female) and Societies of Apostolic Life within the geographical location of each deanery belong to such deanery as instituted.
- Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Iwopin: We appreciate all those who have contributed to the renovation of the Marian Pilgrimage Center with their kind donations. This is an important spiritual patrimony in our Diocese, we therefore appeal to individuals, families, societies, parishes and stations to support this course of rebuilding Ave Maria Pilgrimage center with your kind donations. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7). The account details is as follows:
Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 1022812598
Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Construction of a Diocesan Chancery Building:The building of our Diocesan Chancery has commenced and the foundation work has been completed. We thank God for the success of the foundation laying ceremonies which took place on February 19, 2021. We thank all those who made out time to attend the ceremonies. We call on all Parishes, Institutions, families and benefactors both within and outside the Diocese to financially support this project. To support this project of constructing a befitting Chancery for the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, kindly make your donation to the following Bank Account:
Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 0131027016
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these special collections for the month of April:
- Pope’s Appeal (April 2): This collection is geared towards supporting the pastoral activities of the Pope. By our contribution we identify with the mission and apostolate of the Pope and also pray for his intentions.
- Seminary / Vocation Collection (April 25): This collection is meant for the support of Seminarians training for the Priesthood.
Priests should kindly ensure that these collections are well publicized, collected and remitted to the Chancery for proper collation.
- Vocation Sunday: The Good Shepherd Sunday also known as the Vocation Sunday will come up on April 25, 2021, the 4th Sunday of Easter. All Priests should endeavor to promote the Vocations to the Priesthood and Religious life during the homily. Other activities that are appropriate for the promotion of vocations should take place on this day also.
- Curia Meeting: The Curia meeting for the 2nd Quarter will come up on Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at the Justice, Development and Peace Commission Conference Hall by 9:00am. All those concerned should take note.
- Liturgical Commission: The Diocesan Retreat for all Mass Servers will come up on April 9, 2021 at St. Anthony Catholic Church, Imepe, Ejinrin Road, Ijebu-Ode by 10am. All members should take note and prepare for this.
- Holy Childhood Association: There shall be a “Know your Faith” test on Parish level across the Diocese on April 10 &11, 2021. All Parish animators of the HCA should kindly organize this.
- Family and Human Life Apostolate: The department of the Family and Human Life of the Diocese will be having the following events in the month of April 2021:
- The level one training of Marriage Counsellors will come up on April 17, 2021 at St. Francis Catholic Church, Odo-Aye by 10am prompt.
- There shall be a World-wide Marriage encounter from Friday 23rd April – Sunday 25th April, 2021 at the Louis Bautain Retreat Center, Ijebu-Itele.
- Appointments: Rev. Fr. Evaristus-Mary Oduntan, Chaplain, CYON, Ijebu-Ode Diocese.
- Episcopal Ordination Anniversary: I kindly request your prayers as I mark my Episcopal Ordination Anniversary on April 25. Keep me in your prayers that I may be faithful to God’s call of Shepherding the people of God entrusted to my care. Amen.
Thank you as I wish you a blessed and fruitful month of April.
Most Rev. Francis Obafemi ADESINA
Bishop of Ijebu-Ode Diocese.