JANUARY 2020 DIOCESAN CIRCULARadmin
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord: JANUARY 2020 DIOCESAN CIRCULAR Grace and Peace of the Lord be with you.
1: The Month of January: Welcome to a new year and the first month of the year 2020. Every New Year is a time for new beginnings and starting afresh. May this month and this year bring us God’s blessings and favours. Amen. In the first part of this month, we continue the Christmas season which will end with the feast of the Baptism of the Lord. After which, our decorations will be removed and the Christmas crib returned for keep till the next Christmas celebration. The Ordinary Time season in the Church will then commence, during which we shall reflect on the life of Christ in its wholeness.
2: Bishop’s Canonical Pastoral Visitation: I will begin the canonical pastoral visitation to all Parishes, Schools, Hospitals and Convents in the diocese this month of January, starting with Ogbere deanery. During these visits, I shall get to know the nooks and crannies of the diocese. I intend to trace the history of the diocese from where the first mass was celebrated, hence, the choice of starting from Ogbere deanery. The dates for the pastoral visitation in the deanery will be as follows:
- St. Anne Catholic Parish, Imobi: Thursday 9th – Friday 10th January, 2020
- Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Parish, J6: Friday 10th – Saturday 11th January, 2020
- St. Mary Catholic Parish, Ogbere: Saturday 11th – Sunday 12th January, 2020
- Holy Child Nursery and Primary School, Ogbere: Monday 13th January, 2020
- St. Thomas Catholic Parish, Agbure: Sunday 19th – Monday 20th January, 2020
- Handmaids of the Child Jesus School and Convent: Monday 20th January, 2020
- St. Kizito Catholic Parish, Iwopin: Monday 20th – Tuesday 21st January, 2020.
3: Novena to the Immaculate Heart of Mary: As a continuation of the call for monthly Novena for the intentions of our Diocese and as part of preparations for the Marian Pilgrimage which will come up on February 7th – 8th 2020, I invite you all to take up the novena to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. This novena will be a preparatory prayer for the Consecration of the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, which we will end together as a diocese at Iwopin, the venue for the Marian Pilgrimage in February. It will commence on January 30th – February 7th, 2020. May I enjoin all Parish Priests, Superiors and Chaplains to kindly ensure that this novena is carried out in all Parishes, schools, convents and formation houses across the diocese
4: Pope’s Intention for the month of January 2020: Prayer intention for evangelization – promotion of World Peace: We pray that Christians, followers of other religions, and all people of goodwill may promote peace and justice in the world.
5: Submission of Statistics for 2019: This is to remind all Parish Priests, Priest-incharge, Superiors, Hospital Managers, Principals and Head teachers to kindly submit the statistics form given to them last year on or before January 7, 2020.
6: Parish Pastoral Council: This is to call on all Parish Priests to kindly submit the names of their Parish Pastoral Council members to the Chancellor, Msgr. Valentine Awoyemi before the end of January. For those Parishes that currently do not have Parish Pastoral Council, they are to constitute the council and send the names across to the Chancellor before the end of January. All Parish Priests are to ensure they comply by this information.
7: Curia Meeting: This is remind all members of the Curia of the opening meeting of the year schedule to hold on January 28, 2020 at the JDPC Conference Hall by 10:00am. All concerned should be in attendance for this meeting as important issues about the activities for the year will be discussed.
8: Opening Mass of the year: The opening mass of the year 2020 will come up on January 7, 2020 at St. Anthony Catholic Church, Aiyegbami, Sagamu, starting with the celebration of the Holy Mass by 10:00am. All Priests, Consecrated Men and Women and other agents of evangelization, including members of the laity who can make it to the venue are expected to be at this gathering.
9: Priestly Ordination of Rev. Israel Onele: The Priestly Ordination of Rev. Israel Onele will take place on January 18, 2020 at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral, Ijebu-Ode, starting with the Holy Mass by 10:00am. Let us be part of this celebration and rejoice with our brother as he embraces the Presbyterate Order.
10: 2020 International Eucharistic Congress (IEC), Budapest, Hungary: This is to inform all interested Priests, Religious and Laity that the 2020 International Eucharistic Congress (IEC) will take place from September 13 to September 20, 2020 in Budapest, Hungary. The cost for this conference is Euro 2,750 (2 in a room) or Euro 3,000 (1 in a room) plus N30,000 non-refundable fee. This amount will cover visa processing, travel insurance, international flight tickets, registration for the IEC, accommodation, feeding, materials, ground transport in Budapest and other expenses. Interested persons should contact the following persons for further information about this congress:
- Ogbere Deanery: Frs. Peter Owolabi and Henry Osobor
- Esure Deanery: Frs. Simon Mayungbe and Emmanuel Matuluko
- Ijebu-Ode Deanery: Frs. John Aruleba and Hector Osifeko
- Ijebu-Igbo Deanery: Fr. Stephen Osinkoya
- Sagamu Deanery: Frs. Leo Awojinrin and James Oluka General Coordinator: Fr. Martin-Rita Ogunbanwo
- Pontifical Mission Societies: There shall be a meeting of all Deanery Coordinators of HCA on January 19, 2020. The Venue and time will be communicated later through the Director, Rev. Fr. John Aruleba. Also, the general meeting of all animators of HCA will take place on January 25, 2020. The time and venue will also be communicated later.
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these special collections for the month of January, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and Nigeria Conference of Women Religious (N.C.W.R.). Priests should kindly ensure that they are remitted on time to the Chancery for proper collation.
- Welcoming Ministers: There shall be a meeting of the board of welcoming ministers in the diocese on January 11, 2020 at St. Timothy Catholic Church, Degun, Ijebu-Ode, starting by 10:00am prompt.
- Block Rosary Crusade: The members of the Block rosary Crusade will be having their first general meeting on January 19, 2020 at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral by 10:00am.
- Organizational Information:
- CWO: There shall be a general meeting and thanksgiving of the Catholic Women Organization of Nigeria, Ijebu-Ode Diocese on January 19, 2020 at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Ajaka, starting with the Holy Mass by 10:00am.
- Societal Information:
- The Association of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary will be having their general meeting on January 12, 2020 at St. Mary Catholic church, Ogbere by 10:00am.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: We congratulate, rejoice with and request your prayers for the following: Rev Frs. Albert Osunlaja (January 5); Michael Elogie (January 5) and Stephen Ositimehin (January 23) as they celebrate their Priestly Ordination Anniversaries this month. May God grant them fulfillment and the grace of final perseverance. Amen.
Thank you as I wish you a blessed and fruitful month of January.