JULY 2020 DIOCESAN CIRCULARadmin
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord:
1: The Month of July: Welcome to the month of July, which begins the second half of the year 2020. Despite the on-going pandemic COVID-19, the year is moving so fast. We can’t but continue to thank God for the many graces he bestows on us, especially the grace of being alive. Thus, I welcome you all to another month of grace. In this month, the Liturgy of the Church calls to journey with the Lord as we continue the Ordinary Time of the year. It is a time we re-live and reflect on the earthly life of Jesus.
2: Pope’s Intention for the month of July 2020: Our Families: We pray today’s families may be accompanied with love, respect and guidance. We remember in our prayers, this month, families in our Diocese going through daily challenges, that God will strengthen them in their marital love.
3: Update on Resumption of Public Masses in the Diocese: In my June 2020 circular I gave the permission to resume weekday Mass in all Parishes in the Diocese. However, we are still unable to resume public Mass on Sundays due to the lockdown still in place in the state on Saturdays and Sundays and the refusal of the State Government to open places of worship for congregating. Ivly heart goes out to many of our Laity who have not been able to physically partake of Sunday Masses for a long time, I know this is hard and tough for you. It is my hope that Priests in various Parishes are able to meet your Spiritual and pastoral needs during this time. Negotiations on resumption of Sunday gathering are still on with the State Government through the Christian Association of Nigeria, Ogun State chapter. We know that in no distant time, we shall be allowed to congregate in our various Parishes. Let us continue to intensify our prayers for the world and our country, that God will bring an end to this pandemic. Be strong in faith and do not be discouraged.
4: Novena for the month of July: In continuation of the request for a monthly Novena for the intention of our Diocese and indeed the whole world as we battle the pandemics of COVID-19, may I invite you to take up the Novena to the precious Blood of Jesus which will begin simultaneously on Monday 20th July to 28th July 2020 in all families, Rectories, Houses of formation and Convents.
5: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Iwopin: During our annual Marian Pilgrimage in February 2020, I made a passionate appeal to all the pilgrims and indeed, to all of us to contribute generously to the renovation of the Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center. As a follow-up to this request, I am pleased to announce to you that a special Bank account dedicated to the Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center is now in operation. I invite you to support this course of rebuilding our Pilgrimage center with your kind donations. Remember, nothing is too small or too big for God, for God loves a cheerful giver (2 Car. 9:7). The account detail is as follows:
- Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
- Account Number: 1022812598
- Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
6: Social Communications Commission: We thank the Social Communication Commission of the Diocese for facilitating and showcasing the various activities and publications in the Diocese on Social Media. To follow the Diocese and her activities, log on to any of the following:
- YouTube: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode Nigeria
- Facebook: “The Partner Newspaper, Ijebu-Ode Diocese”
- Website: www.ijebuodecatholicdiocese.org
7: Posting of Seminarians: Our Seminarians have been at home for some months now due to the closure of Schools across the country and we still do not know when they will resume back. In order to monitor their growth and readiness for the Priestly work ahead, I have asked the Vocations Director, Rev. Fr. Michael Ogunyinka to post the Theologians among them to Parishes for Apostolic Experience. I enjoin on all Priests that will receive these Seminarians to kindly see them as brothers and help them discover the mystery of the Priestly vocation as they train for the Celibate Catholic Priesthood.
- Meetings and gatherings of every societies, organizations and committees that are expected to take place this month remains postponed till further notice. However, limited members of officers could meet to plan the way forward.
- In line with Government decision and further directive that may come out later this month, you will be updated regarding the following activities of the Diocese which have been postponed since March this year:
- Cathedraticum Mass of Ijebu-Igbo Deanery
- Mass of the Chrism 2020
- Formation of new Diocesan Pastoral Council
- Priests day of Sanctification and Recollection
- Bishop’s Canonical Pastoral Visitation to Ijebu-Igbo, Sagamu and Ijebu-Ode Deaneries
- Submission of 2020 Report: This is to inform all Heads of Department, Institutions and Presidents of various Organizations like CMO, CWO, CYON and HCA that there will be need to submit a comprehensive report of activities done in the year 2020. This report is expected to be detailed containing the summary of what was done and pictures to back it up. It will be submitted both in printed copies and soft copies to the office of the Bishop through his Secretary on or before December 10, 2020. This is an obligatory annual report and all those concerned should take note.
- Re-opening of the Chancery Office: The Chancery is opened fully for activities daily from Mondays to Fridays. If you would like to see the Bishop, kindly contact the Secretary to the Bishop, Rev. Fr. Augustine Adetola, to book an appointment with the Bishop. Kindly ensure that when visiting the Chancery for any purpose, do well to cooperate with directives at the gate of JDPC. The use of face mask is compulsory and physical distancing must be observed when you are within the compound and the Chancery office.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: We congratulate, rejoice and request your prayers for Rev. Frs. Martin Yina, MSP (July 1); Walter Ezenwosu, MSP (July 2); Evaristus-Mary Oduntan (July 4); Victor Egwuonwu (July 4); Lawrence Adelana (July 4); Godwin Imoru (July 4); Reginald-Mario Isama (July 4); Ashinwo John (July 6); John Igwe, CM (July 7); Cyriacus Agbapajuru, CSSp (July 8); John Innocent, MST (July 8); Simon Mayungbe (July 9); Kingsley Anyanwu, CSSp (July 9); Uche Okocha (July 9); Martin Ajayi (July 9); Peter Onabamiro (July 9); Jude Ezeigbo (July 9); Jude Kuti (July 9); Joseph Ogunnupebi (July 9); Titus Adelaja (July 9); Andison Anyanwu (July 10); Albert Igbodipe (July 10); Michael Obafemi (July 10); Charles Shoyege (July 11); Kelvin Okonkwo, CM (July 11); Matthew Oguleru (July 11); Anthony Adebambo (July 11); Michael Oguntade (July 13); Peter Owolabi (July 13); Gabriel Oresegun (July 13); Jude Ofuani (July 13); Anthony Odjegba (July 13); Samuel Iyagbe, CMF (July 15); Michael Banjo (July 18); Christopher Ogunnupebi (July 18); Albert Adeleke (July 18); Michael Adebanjo (July 18); Emmanuel Matuluko (July 18), whose Priestly Ordination Anniversaries occur this month. May God grant them fulfillment and grace of final perseverance. Ad Multos Annos!
- Bereavement: We announce, with deep sympathy the demise of Pa Gabriel Adetayo Sanni, the Father of Rev. Fr. Anthony Adetayo, the Chaplain of Saint Anthony Grammar School, Ijebu-Imusin. May God grant him eternal rest and consolation to the family.
Thank you as Iwish you a blessed and fruitful month of July. May God heal our land.