Monthly Bulletin /Circular April, 2022 /032Dominic
TO ALL PRIESTS, RELIGIOUS AND THE LAY FAITHFUL IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE.
Grace and Peace of the Lord be with you.
- The Month of April: I welcome you to the last month of the first quarter of the year, the month of April. This month is a special month in the life of the Church, as she celebrates the events of the Paschal Mystery; the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, and the Paschal Time; Easter Season. This important celebration begins with the Holy Week (Sunday 10th April: Palm Sunday) and culminates with Easter Celebration (Sunday 17th April).
In the Holy Week the Church, celebrates the mysteries of salvation accomplished by Christ in the last days of his earthly life, from his messianic entry into Jerusalem until his blessed Passion and glorious Resurrection (Universal Norms, 3)
The Holy Week is very special and important in the life of the Church, as such, we are to prayerfully and reverently participate in all spiritual programmes prepared for us by the Church. The Paschal Triduum Celebration (Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday) is the heart of the Holy Week, I therefore, enjoin all Pastors in the Diocese to take care to instruct the faithful on the meaning and structure of the rites enacted in these days, and so lead them to an active and fruitful participation.
The same Easter season calls our attention that the Paschal Candle is a central symbol of the Divine light, which is Christ Risen from the dead. The fifty days from the Sunday of the Resurrection to Pentecost Sunday are celebrated in joy and exultation As one feast day. These are the days above all others in which the “Alleluia” is sung (Universal Norms, 22).
As we celebrate Easter this year, may this season bring us good tidings and God’s blessings.
- Pope’s Intention for the month of April 2022: FOR health care workers:Let us pray for health care workers who serve the sick and the elderly, especially in the poorest countries; may they be adequately supported by governments and local communities.
- Bishop’s Intention for the month of April 2022:For the Youth: That they may always seek the path of truth and sincere love for the Church in their present and future endeavors amidst the insecurities in the country.
- 2022 Lenten Reflection: We sincerely thank and appreciate the Social Communications Commission for organizing and putting together this year’s Lenten reflections. We still have the opportunity to listen to spiritual and edifying Lenten reflections from Priests working in the Diocese each day till then end of the Lenten season on Good Friday, April 15, on the following social media handles: YouTube: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode Nigeria
Facebook: “I-partner Ijebu-ode” and “The Partner Newspaper”
- Diocesan Monthly Novena Prayer: For this month, we shall collectively pray the Novena to the Divine Mercy for peace in the World and for the intention of our Diocese. This Novena shall begin on April 15 – 23, 2022. This will prepare us for the celebration of Divine Mercy Sunday on 24th April, 2022. May I enjoin all Parish Priests, Superiors and Chaplains to kindly ensure that this novena prayer is said in all Parishes, schools, convents and formation houses across the Diocese. Devotees of Divine Mercy should encourage other Catholics to join in this Novena.
- Cathedraticum Masses: Our Cathedraticum Masses this Year shall hold in three phases namely:
- Iloti, Ijebu-Igbo and Ijebu-Ode Deaneries:
Date: Friday April 1, 2022
Venue: St. Anthony Catholic Church, Ejinrin, Road, Ijebu-Ode
- Sagamu and Iperu Deaneries
Date: Saturday April 2, 2022
Venue: Holy Family Catholic Church, G.R.A, Sagamu
- Ogbere and Esure Deaneries
Date: Saturday April 9, 2022
Venue: St. Patrick Catholic Church, Ikija
N.B: We encourage active and full participation in the celebrations.
- 2022 Chrism Mass:The Chrism Mass is that which is properly concelebrated by the Bishop with his Clergy. It is a sign of unity and communion of the Priests with their Bishop. At this Mass, the Bishop blesses the Oils of the Sick and Catechumen and consecrates the Oil of Chrism. These Oils shall therefore be used for the celebration of sacraments in the Diocese until the next Chrism Mass.
This year’s Chrism Mass will hold on Tuesday of Holy Week, April 12, 2022 at St. Sebastian Cathedral, Ijebu-Ode at 10.00a.m.
- Integration Formation Programme: As part of the integration formation programme for the clerical members of the suppressed Order of Little Lamb of the Cross, they have been posted to parishes across the Diocese for Holy Week/ Easter Celebrations from Saturday 9th – Wednesday 20th April. 2022, for pastoral experiences. We appeal to Priests, Religious and the entire Lay Faithful of our Diocese to kindly welcome and give them the necessary support they need.
- Diocesan Prayer Crusade for Priests and Religious:This is a reminder to the appeal made at the beginning of the Year to families within our Diocese to adopt a Priest/Religious for prayer throughout the Year 2022. Families within our Diocese are encouraged to freely choose and adopt a Priest/Religious whom they would be praying for on daily basis throughout this year. Let us all remember to pray for our Priests and Religious daily.We implore Parish Priests to be creative in encouraging and implementing this appeal.
- Ave Maria Pilgrimage Centre, Iwopin:We continue to solicit your generous support towards the renovation of the Ave Maria Pilgrimage Centre, Iwopin. I am pleased to inform you that we have begun serious work on the site and we need a lot of money to sustain and complete this project. We sincerely appreciate all those who have contributed generously towards this project as we wish to appeal to individuals, families, societies, parishes and stations who are yet, to support this project of rebuilding a Pilgrimage Centre for the Blessed Virgin Mary in our Diocese with your kind donations. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7). The account details are as follows:
Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 1022812598
Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Construction of a Diocesan Chancery Building:The building of our Diocesan Chancery is ongoing and we have made great progress. We therefore, continue to humbly appeal to Parishes, Institutions, families and benefactors, within and outside the Diocese, who are yet to make their contributions, to financially support this project. We recognize and acknowledge all the contributions and donations already received. May God continue to reward and replenish all our benefactors abundantly.
To support this project of building a befitting Chancery for the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, kindly make your donation(s) to the following Bank Account:
Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 0131027016
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these special collections for the month of April:
- Youth Collection (April 10): This collection is to support the Youth carry out their programmes and activities successfully.
- Pope’s Appeal (Good Friday April 15): This collection is to support the pastoral activities of the Pope. By our contribution we identify with the mission and apostolate of the Pope and also pray for his intentions.
- Emergency Fund (Divine Mercy Sunday, April 24): This collection is managed by the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria to assist people in emergency situations in the country.
Priests should kindly ensure that these collections are well publicized, collected and remitted to the Chancery for proper collation.
- Family and Human Life Apostolate: Phase one of the training of Trainers for remote and proximate preparation shall take place on 19th April, 2022, at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Odo-Aye.
This month’s Level One Training of Marriage Counsellors will take place on Saturday, 23rd April, 2022 at Most Pure Heart Catholic Church, Esure.
- Department of Catechesis and Religious Education: This month’s training programme of Catechists shall on 23rd April, 2022 at the Catechetical Centre, Motubo, Ijebu-Ode at 10.00a.m.
Refresher program for Catechists/Agents of Evangelization for Ministry for 2022 installation shall take place on 30th April, 2022 at St. Anthony Catholic Church, Ejirin Road. Time: 10.a.m
All concerned should endeavor to be punctual.
- Catholic Women Organization of Nigeria (CWON): National Mother’s Day celebration comes up on April 24, 2022 and this shall be observed at Parish level. Every parish is encouraged to make this a remarkable and memorable celebration for our mothers.
- Catholic Youth Organization of Nigeria (CYON): The Diocesan Youth Day which usually takes place on the Saturday after Easter will now hold in August, 2022. This is as a result of the adjustment in the dates of the National Youth Day and World Youth Day. We encourage our youths to take note of this adjustment.
- Holy Childhood Association: There shall be a “Know your Faith” Exam on Parish level across the Diocese on April 2-4 & 8-9 2022. All Parish animators of the HCA should kindly organize this.
- Education Department: We wish to inform all our Heads of Catholic Schools, Staff, Parents and Pupils/Students (Primary and Secondary) that the resumption date for 3rd term is on 25th April, 2022. Let all concerned to take note.
- Curia Meeting: The Curia meeting for the 2nd Quarter will come up on Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at the Justice, Development and Peace Commission Conference Hall by 10:00am. All those concerned should be informed and attend punctually.
- Episcopal Ordination Anniversary: I kindly request your prayers as I mark my Episcopal Ordination Anniversary on April 25. Keep me in your prayers that I may be faithful to God’s call of Shepherding the people of God entrusted to my care.
Most Rev. Francis Obafemi ADESINA
Bishop of Ijebu-ode Diocese.