Monthly Bulletin/Circular AUGUST, 2021 /025Dominic
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord:
- The Month of August: Dear brothers and sisters, welcome to August, the eighth month of the year. This month is noted for pilgrimages, travels and vacations. As we take time out to relax and refresh, let us keep alight our spiritual pathway and endeavour to deepen our friendship with God. Also, the COVID-19 pandemic is still much around, keep safe always and observe necessary care and protection. In this month, the Church’ liturgy offers us Solemnities, feasts and memorials of our Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary and some of the saints to assist us in our spiritual growth. Notable among these celebrations are the feast of the Transfiguration (6th August) which gives us a foretaste of the beatific vision and the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (15th August), which reminds us of the fact that our true dwelling place is in heaven. Other notable Saints whose feasts and memorials are celebrated this month include: St. John Mary Vianney, Patron of Parish Priests (4th August); St. Lawrence (10th August); St. Clare (11th August); St. Maximilian Kolbe (14th August); St. Bernard (20th August); St. Bartholomew (24th August); St. Monica (27th August) and St. Augustine (28th August). In the celebration of the feasts of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Saints, we are reminded that heavenly reward is promised to those who persevere to the end. May the Lord grant us that Spirit of perseverance till the end. Amen.
- Pope’s Intention for the month of August 2021: Intention for evangelization– The Church: Let us pray for the Church, that She may receive from the Holy Spirit the grace and strength to reform herself in the light of the Gospel.
- Bishop’s Intention for the month of August 2021:For increase in vocations to the priesthood and religious life: That we may experience an increase in vocations to the priesthood and religious life among the youth in the diocese.
- Novena for the month of August: In continuation of the request for a monthly Novena for the intention of our Diocese and indeed the whole world as we battle the pandemics of COVID-19, and also in preparation for the celebration of the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, may I invite you to take up the Novena in honour of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This Novena will begin simultaneously on Friday, 6th August to Saturday, 14th August, 2021 in all Churches, families, Rectories, Houses of formation and Convents.
- Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary:This Solemnity will come up on 15th August, 2021. It is a Holy Day of obligation. Catholics are obliged to attend Mass on this day. This Solemnity is a celebration of one of the four Marian dogmas which teaches us that our Blessed Mother Mary, having been preserved from the stain of original sin and after completing her earthly life, was by the power of God assumed into heaven body and soul. The Assumption of Our Blessed Virgin Mary was declared a dogma by the Apostolic Constitution of Pope Pius XII in the year 1950. Let us like Mary strive to perfection so that we may merit eternal happiness. As we celebrate this Solemnity on Sunday this month, may I request that Pastors offer special prayers on this day for the world, our country Nigeria and the Diocese, imploring the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Iwopin: We appreciate all those who have contributed to the renovation of the Marian Pilgrimage Center with their kind donations. This is an important spiritual patrimony in our Diocese, we therefore appeal to individuals, families, societies, parishes and stations to support this course of rebuilding Ave Maria Pilgrimage center with your kind donations. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7). The account details is as follows:
Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 1022812598
Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Construction of a Diocesan Chancery Building:The building of our Diocesan Chancery is ongoing. We renew our call to all Parishes, Institutions, families and benefactors both within and outside the Diocese to financially support this project. To support this project of constructing a befitting Chancery for the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, kindly make your donation to the following Bank Account:
Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 0131027016
- Appreciation: I want to thank and appreciate all Priests. Religious and Laity of this Diocese for your condolence messages, prayers and active participation during and after the burial of our late Bishop Emeritus, Most Rev. Albert Ayinde Fasina. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.
- Presbyteral Council Meeting: The Priest Council meeting will take place on Tuesday August 31, 2021 at Holy Family Catholic Church, G.R.A., Sagamu, starting at exactly 10am.
- Official presentation of the Diocesan Pastoral Plan and the Graduation Ceremony of FRALAN Training Institute: The official presentation of the Diocesan Pastoral Plan titled: “moving forward in faith and action” (cf. Ex. 14:15) and the maiden edition of the graduation ceremony of FRALAN Training Institute will come up on Saturday, August 14, 2021 at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral, Ijebu-Ode. This event is open to all but in particular the following are to be present:
- Two representatives from all Parish Pastoral Councils (Vice chairman and secretary)
- Two representatives of every Deanery Pastoral Councils
- All Priests and Religious in the Diocese
- All heads and secretaries of Lay Apostolate groups
- Three representatives from every Catholic Institution in the Diocese
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these special collections for the month of August:
- National Conference of Male and Female Religious (August 8): This collection is meant to support the activities of the conference of Male and Female Religious in the Diocese. Let us donate generously to support their ministry in our midst.
- Family and Human Life Apostolate (August 15): The Family and Human Life Apostolate in the Diocese helps to supervise and organize activities for families within the Diocese. They also help is providing a concrete Marriage syllabus for intending couples. This special collection is meant to support the Apostolate in our Diocese. Let us kindly donate generously.
- Holy Land (August 22): This is a Pontifical collection. It is a fund meant to support the Holy places and above all it is meant for the pastoral, charitable, educational and social works of the Church for the welfare of local communities.
Priests should kindly ensure that this collection is well publicised, collected and remitted to the Chancery for proper collation.
- Priests and Religious gathering: The gathering of all Priests and Religious working in the Diocese will take place on Tuesday, August 10, 2021 at St. Francis Catholic Church, Odo-aye, starting at exactly 10:00am. At this gathering we shall be discussing the new Pastoral plan of the Diocese. Further information about this event will be communicated by the Department for Pastoral planning and operations.
- Bishop’s Canonical Pastoral Visitation: In continuation of our Canonical Pastoral Visitation to all Parishes, Institutions, formation houses and convents within the Diocese which started last year, I shall be visiting Parishes in Sagamu Deanery in the months of August and September 2021. The purpose of the canonical pastoral visitation is to familiarize myself with the Diocese, to know the Parish boundaries and celebrate the sacraments with the people of God in their Parishes. The following dates have been assigned to the Parishes in Sagamu Deanery:
- St. Mary Catholic Parish, Ogijo (Friday 6th – Sunday 8th August, 2021)
- Holy Family Catholic Parish, G.R.A., Sagamu (Saturday 14th – Sunday 15th August, 2021)
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Parish, Ajaka (Friday 3rd – Saturday 4th September, 2021)
- St. Anthony Catholic Parish, Ayegbami Sagamu (Saturday 4th –Sunday 5th September, 2021)
- St. Francis Catholic Parish, Likosi (Saturday 11th – Sunday 12th September, 2021)
- 2021 Annual Seminarians Reunion/ End of Apostolic Work: The Seminarians of the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode will end their 6-weeks Pastoral/ Apostolic experience on August 31st, 2021. They are all expected to gather at Sacred Heart Catholic College Boys Hostel on the same day for their Pastoral work evaluation.
- Liturgical Commission: There shall be a day seminar for Mass servers in the diocese at the City of the Immaculate, Ayepe on August 14th, 2021 at 9am. All members should take note.
- CYON: The members of the Catholic Youth Organization of Nigeria, Ijebu-Ode Diocese shall be having a Diocesan talent exhibition on August 14, 2021 at Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Parish, Esure. Youths are expected to come around to showcase their talents.
- Family and Human Life Apostolate: The Commissioning and certification of Level one Marriage Counsellors will take place on Sunday, August 29, 2021 at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral at 10am Mass.
- Laity Council: The Diocesan meeting of the Laity Council and the ratification of election of the New Executives will take place on August 8, 2021 at St. Peter Catholic Church, Oke-Sopen.
- Pontifical Mission Societies: There shall be HCA Animation Visits to St. Francis Catholic Church, Likosi and St. Mary Catholic Church, Ogijo on August 14- 15, 2021. Members should take note.
- Catechetical and Religious Education Department: The Department will be organizing a seminar for all Catechists in various deaneries as follows:
- Ijebu-Igbo Deanery: August 7, 2021 at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Oru by 11am.
- Esure Deanery: August 21, 2021 at St. Louis Catholic Church, Ijebu-Ife by 11am.
- Sagamu Deanery: August 28, 2021 at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Ajaka by 11am. All Catechists in the various deaneries should avail themselves this opportunity to learning more about their work.
- Year of Saint Joseph: As part of the events marked out to celebrate the year of St. Joseph in our Diocese, there shall be a one-day symposium on life and lessons of St. Joseph for CMO, CWO and CYON in conjunction with Marriage and Family life department. This symposium will take place on Saturday, August 21, 2021 at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral.
- Transfers: We thank and appreciate the following Priests and Religious who will be leaving our Diocese for another mission/studies elsewhere. They are:
- Rev. Fr. Michael-Mary Chiaha, Spiritual Theology at Teresianum, Rome.
- Sr. Matilda Adeboye, SSL
- Sr. Margaret Petirin, SSL
- Sr. Ann Amadi, SSL
- Sr. Joy Nosa, SSL
We welcome the following Religious to the Diocese. They are:
- Sr. Agatha Nwanyanwu, SSL;
- Sr. Catherine Ologunagba, SSL;
- Sr. Josephine Ojo SSL
- Sr. Angela Ogu SSL.
We wish them well in their new apostolates and studies.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: We congratulate, rejoice and request your prayers for Rev. Frs. John Patrick Ngoyi, CICM (5th August); Peter Puotege, CSSp (9th August); Dominic Okonwa, F.I. (11th August); Januarius Udo Iwuji, SDV (19th August); Patrick Balogun (20th August); Vincent Ajayi (20th August); Paul Oredipe (22nd August); Stephen Ekerin (24th August); Stephen Osinkoya (24th August); Hector Osifeko (24th August) and David-Mary Odunsi (24th August) whose Priestly Ordination Anniversaries occur this month. May God grant them fulfillment and grace of final perseverance. Ad Multos Annos!
- Bereavement: We announce, with deep sympathy the demise of Pa Jerome Onimisi Yakubu,the father of Rev. Fr. James Yakubu, MSP. The burial ceremonies will be as follows: Christian Wake/ Vigil Mass: Thursday 5th August, 2021 at 5:00pm. Venue: St. Joseph Catholic Church, Nagazi-Uvete, Adavi LGA. Funeral Mass: Friday, 6th August, 2021 at 10:00am. Venue is same as above. May the soul of Pa Jerome Onimisi Yakubu rest in peace. Amen.
- We also announce with deep sympathy the demise of Madam Agnes Onoyake Odjegba, the mother of Rev. Fr. Anthony Odjegba, a Priest of our Diocese working as the Parish Priest of St. John Catholic Church, Odogbolu. The Burial ceremonies will be as follows: Christian Wake/ Vigil Mass: Wednesday, 18th August, 2021 at 5:00pm. Venue: Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Oria-Abraka, Delta State. Funeral Mass: Thursday, 19th August, 2021 at 10:00am. Venue: St. Patrick Catholic Church, Eku, Delta State. May the soul of Mrs. Agnes Onayake rest in peace. Amen.
Thank you as I wish you a blessed and fruitful month of August.
Most Rev. Francis Obafemi ADESINA
Bishop of Ijebu-Ode Diocese.