Monthly Bulletin /Circular JANUARY, 2022 /030Dominic
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Grace and Peace of the Lord be with you.
- The Month of January: Welcome to a New Year and the first month of the Year 2022. Every New Year is a time for new beginnings with positive resolutions. May this month and this year bring us God’s blessings and favours, as we pray for an end to the Corona Virus pandemic. Amen. In the first part of this month, we continue the Christmas season celebrations. We open the year with the celebration of the greatest of the titles of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (January 1), after which we celebrate the Epiphany Sunday when the baby Jesus is presented with the gifts of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh by the Magi (January 2). The Christmas season comes to an end with the celebration of the Baptism of the Lord (January 9).
With the celebration of the feast of the Baptism of the Lord, we bring down our decorations and enter into a new liturgical season called Ordinary time of the Year, wherein we commemorate the life of Christ in its fullness. The liturgical colour for this season is Green, a symbol of hope, that we shall reap the rewards of eternal life.
- Pope’s Intention for the month of January 2022: For true Human fraternity: Let us pray for all those suffering from religious discrimination and persecution; may their own rights and dignity be recognized, which originate from being brothers and sisters in the human family.
- Bishop’s Intention for the month of January 2022: For peace of God in our country: That the coming of Jesus at Christmas may bring peace and progress to our country and that all ethnic and religious groups may live in peace and harmony.
- Diocesan Prayer Crusade: At every age, the Holy Mother Church encourages her faithful to pray for her Priests to be strong and faithful in their vocation. We commend the efforts of individuals need to pray for our Priests and Religious is most relevant and timely.
- Sunday of the Word of God (Sunday 23rd January 2022): The Holy Father, Pope Francis, in his Apostolic Letter “Aperuit Illis” issued on September 30, 2019, established that the Third Sunday in the Ordinary Time each year would be celebrated as the SUNDAY OF THE WORD OF GOD. With this “Motus Propio”, the Holy Father invites all Catholics across the world to deepen their appreciation, love and faithful witness to God and His Word. This day is to be observed as a special day devoted to the celebration, study and dissemination of the Word of God.
The celebration of the Sunday of the Word of God comes up on Sunday 23rd January 2022. On this day, there shall be the ceremony of the Enthronement of the Word of God in all parishes in the Diocese.
As a follow-up to this Sunday of the Word of God, we direct that all priests should begin to sensitize the faithful about this special Sunday and the prominence of the Word of God in the Life of the Christian. This must be done in all Parishes and Institutions across the Diocese on this very day. The Bible remains enthroned until Tuesday, March 1st, 2022, the day before Ash Wednesday. Special attention must be given to Small Christian Communities in our various parishes, with focus on how the Word of God is shared and celebrated.
- Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Iwopin:We renew our call and request your generous support towards the renovation of the Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center. We sincerely appreciate all those who have contributed generously to this project. We remind individuals, families, societies, parishes and stations to support this course of rebuilding our Pilgrimage center with your kind donations. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7). The account details are as follows:
Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 1022812598
Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Construction of a Diocesan Chancery Building:The building of our Diocesan Chancery is ongoing and we have made great progress. We therefore, renew our humble request to Parishes, Institutions, families and benefactors, within and outside the Diocese, who are yet to make their contributions, to financially support this project. We recognize and acknowledge all the contributions and donations already received. May God reward and replenish all our benefactors abundantly.
To support this project of constructing a befitting Chancery for the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, kindly make your donation(s) to the following Bank Account:
Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 0131027016
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these special collections for the month of January, Christian Association of Nigeria CAN (January 9), Nigeria Conference of Women Religious (N.C.W.R.) (January 23). Holy Childhood Association (HCA) collection (January 30). Priests should kindly ensure that they are remitted on time to the Chancery for proper collation.
- Education Department: Resumption date for all pupils and students of our Schools (Primary and Secondary), for the second term of the 2021/2022 Academic Year is on January 10, 2022. All Heads of Schools, Staff, Parents and students should be reminded of this date.
- Opening Mass of the Year: The Opening Mass of the year 2022 will come up on January 11, 2022, at Most Pure Heart of Mary, Esure, starting with the celebration of the Holy Mass by 10:00am. All Priests, Consecrated Men and Women, agents of evangelization and Lay Faithful are expected to be at this gathering. Priests should ensure that there is a good representation of the Laity from their respective Parishes. The discussion after the Mass will be for Only Priests and Religious (Male and Female Religious).
- Submission of Statistics for 2021: This is to remind all Parish Priests, Priest-in-charge, Superiors, Hospital Managers, Principals and Head teachers to kindly submit the statistics form given to them last year on or before January 11, 2022.
- Family and Human Life Department: The first meeting of the Year shall come up on 14th January, at Odo- Aye Parish, Ijebu-Ode, while the Level One Training of Marriage Counsellors shall take place in Most Pure Heart, Esure, on Saturday, 22nd January.
- Holy Childhood Association: There shall be Animators Meeting on Parish level on January 15. This meeting is important for the deliberation on Parish plan for the year. The HCA Animation visit for this month shall be to St. Kizito Parish, Iwopin and St. Thomas Parish, Agbure, on 22nd/23rd of January.
The Diocesan HCA Animators General Meeting and Workshop comes up on January. For this General Meeting, Animators are to come with:
- Comprehensive list of Children (HCA members) in their various parishes.
- Typed plan and projection of HCA activities in each parish.
- The record and proceeds of monthly Mission Bank Collection and Presentation in the families.
- Food stuff and or Cash for the February Love Outreach to Children Homes.
- Workshop on the Animation task.
- Catholic Women Organization of Nigeria (CWON): On January 16, the Diocesan CWON will be having their New Year Thanksgiving and their First Meeting of the Year at Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Atan.
- Lay Apostolates Department: There shall be the meeting of the Director, Rev. Fr. Matthew Oguleru with chaplains of all societies, associations and lay groups in the diocese on January 18, at JDPC Complex, Ijebu-Ode, at exactly 11.00a.m. On the 29th of January, there shall be a meeting of the Director with the Executive members of the Laity Council, at CWO Centre in Ijebu-Ode, at 11a.m
- Curia Meeting: This will come up on Tuesday, January 25, 2022, at the JDPC Conference Hall by 10:00am. All concerned should be in attendance for this meeting as important issues on the activities for the year will be discussed.
- Catholic Men Organization of Nigeria (CMON): The Diocesan CMO shall be having their first general meeting of the year on 30th January, 2022, in Ogbere Deanery, at 10a.m. All those concerned should endeavour to be punctual.
- Diaconate Ordination: The Diaconate Ordination of Brothers Deile Peter, Anthony Thomas, Ogbu Christian and Okunsanya Emmanuel will hold on Sunday, January 30, 2022, at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, Magbo, at 10.00a.m
- Men and Women Religious: The Celebration of the feast of Consecrated Life comes up on 2nd February, 2022 at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Ogere. This will begin with the Holy Mass at 10.am. Let us rejoice and celebrate with our Religious Men and Women in our Diocese.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: We congratulate, rejoice with and request your prayers for the following: Rev Frs. Albert Osunlaja (January 5); Michael Elogie (January 5); Israel Onele (January 18) and Stephen Ositimehin (January 23) as they celebrate their Priestly Ordination Anniversaries this month. May God grant them fulfillment and the grace of final perseverance. Amen.
Thank you as I wish you a blessed and fruitful month of January.
Most Rev. Francis Obafemi ADESINA
Bishop of Ijebu-ode Diocese.