Monthly Bulletin /Circular JULY, 2021 /024Dominic
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord:
- The Month of July: Dear brothers and sisters, I welcome you to the 2nd half of the year which begins with the month of July. As we begin this second half of the year, it is necessary to take stock of our activities in the first quarter, reflecting on what we have done, where we are and what our prospects are for the remaining months of the year. May the Lord bless us this month and beyond. Amen.
The month of July is specifically dedicated to the precious blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, a blood shared on the cross of Calvary for our salvation and redemption. The entirety of this month falls within the Liturgical Season of Ordinary Time and the Church invites us to reflect on the lives of the following Saints in the course of this month: St. Thomas the Apostle (July 3); St. Elizabeth of Hungary (July 5); St. Maria Goretti (July 6); St. Bonaventure (July 15); St. Camillus (July 18); St. Mary Magdalene (July 22); St. Chabel (July 24); St. James (July 25); Ss Joachim and Anne, Parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary (July 26) and St. Ignatius of Loyola (July 31).
In this month and beyond, may the precious blood of Jesus cleanse us from sin, deliver us from every evil and sustain us in His love. Amen.
- Pope’s Intention for the month of July 2021: Social Friendship: We pray that, in social, economic and political situations of conflict, we may be courageous and passionate architects of dialogue and friendship.
- Bishop’s Intention for the month of July 2021:For farmers, traders and civil servants in Nigeria: That workers everywhere in the country may receive a just reward for their precious labour.
- Demise of Most Rev. Albert Ayinde Fasina: With grateful heart for a life well spent in God’s service and deep faith in the resurrection, we announce the demise of our beloved Bishop Emeritus, Most Rev. Albert Ayinde Fasina. He died peacefully on 29th June, 2021, the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul.
- Novena to the Precious Blood of Jesus:In continuation of the call for monthly Novena for the intentions of our Diocese and healing of our world from Covid-19 pandemic, kindly endeavor to take part in the Novena to the precious blood of Jesus which will start on 20th – 28th July, 2021. May I enjoin all Parish Priests, Superiors and Chaplains to kindly ensure that this novena is carried out in all Parishes, schools, convents and formation houses across the Diocese.
- Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Iwopin: We appreciate all those who have contributed to the renovation of the Marian Pilgrimage Center with their kind donations. This is an important spiritual patrimony in our Diocese, we therefore appeal to individuals, families, societies, parishes and stations to support this course of rebuilding Ave Maria Pilgrimage center with your kind donations. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7). The account details is as follows:
Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 1022812598
Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Construction of a Diocesan Chancery Building:The building of our Diocesan Chancery is ongoing. We thank God for the successful decking of the first floor. We renew our call to all Parishes, Institutions, families and benefactors both within and outside the Diocese to financially support this project. To support this project of constructing a befitting Chancery for the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, kindly make your donation to the following Bank Account:
Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 0131027016
- Curia Meeting: The third Curia meeting for the year 2021 will come up on Tuesday, 27th July 2021 at the JDPC conference Hall. All those concerned should take note of this important meeting which starts at exactly 10am.
- Burial Rites for Most Rev. Albert Ayinde Fasina: The Burial rites for our departed Bishop Emeritus will take place as follows:
Tuesday, 13th July, 2021: Vigil Mass
Venue: Saint Sebastian Catholic Cathedral, Ijebu-Ode
Time: 3:00pm – Divine Mercy and other devotional Prayers
5:00pm – First Mass with vespers. Lying in state to take place after the first Mass.
9:00pm – Second Mass; 12 Midnight – Third Mass; 3:00am – Divine Mercy Prayers.
Wednesday, 14th July, 2021: Burial Mass
Venue: Christ the King Catholic College Chapel, Odolewu-Ijebu
Internment will take place at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral. This will be attended by Bishops, some selected Priests & Religious and immediate family members ONLY.
Liturgical functionaries at the various masses will be informed by the burial committee
Donations and Goodwill offerings for the funeral ceremonies of the Emeritus Bishop may be paid into:
Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Bank: Access Bank
Account Number: 0037752000
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these special collections for the month of July:
- Symposium of Episcopal Conference of Africa & Madagascar (SECAM): This collection is meant to support the joint conference of all Bishops in Africa and Madagascar. The collections will help in actualizing some of the projects of this joint conference and reaching out to the poor dioceses in the continent. Kindly donate generously.
- Prisoner’s Support: This collection is meant to support the plight of prisoners in va rious prisons within the country. Through generous donation, we will be able to provide them with basic things they need as they undergo their punishment. Kindly donate generously to this course.
Priests should kindly ensure that this collection is well publicized, collected and remitted to the Chancery for proper collation.
- Priests Monthly Recollection: The Priests’ monthly recollection for the month of July will not hold as usual.
- Archbishop Felix Alaba Job 50th Episcopal Anniversary: There shall be a celebration in honour of the 50th Episcopal Ordination Anniversary of Most Rev. Felix Alaba Job, the Emeritus Archbishop of Ibadan and a beloved son of Ijebu-Ode Diocese on Friday 30th July – Sunday 1st August, 2021 at Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church, Esure, Ijebu-Imusin. The event will take place as follows:
Friday 30th July 2021: Gala night with Apepe music by 4pm.
Saturday 31st July 2021: Diocesan celebration of the 50th Episcopal Ordination Anniversary Mass by 10am. Reception follows immediately after the Mass. Admission into the hall is strictly by invitation.
Sunday 1st August, 2021: Thanksgiving Mass by 10am.
- Presentation of Diocesan Pastoral Plan: There shall be a formal presentation of the new Diocesan Plan titled: “Moving forward with faith and action” (cf. Ex. 14:15) later this month. Further details will be communicated subsequently.
- Late Msgr. Valentine Awoyemi one year in mind: On Saturday, 3rd July 2021, it will be one year since the demise of our former Diocesan Chancellor, Msgr. Valentine Olanipekun Awoyemi. I request that all Priests celebrate Mass for his departed soul on this day. Also, the members of the Nigerian Conference of Diocesan Priests Association (NCDPA), Ijebu-Ode Diocese will be having a memorial mass for his departed soul on that same day at St. Peter Catholic Church, Imeruwo by 10am. We are all encouraged to join this memorial service. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.
- Bishop’s Canonical Pastoral Visitation: In continuation of my first Canonical Pastoral Visitation to all Parishes, Institutions, formation houses and convents within the Diocese which started last year, I shall be visiting Parishes in Sagamu Deanery in the months of July and August 2021. The purpose of the canonical pastoral visitation is to familiarize myself with the Diocese, to know the Parish boundaries and celebrate the sacraments with the people of God in their Parishes. The following dates have been assigned to the Parishes in Sagamu Deanery:
- St. Mary Catholic Parish, Ogijo (Friday 6th – Sunday 8th August, 2021)
- St. Francis Catholic Parish, Likosi (Friday 13th – Saturday 14th August, 2021)
- Holy Family Catholic Parish, G.R.A., Sagamu (Saturday 14th – Sunday 15th August, 2021)
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Parish, Ajaka (Friday 3rd – Saturday 4th September, 2021)
- St. Anthony Catholic Parish, Ayegbami Sagamu (Saturday 4th –Sunday 5th September, 2021)
- 2021 Annual Seminarians Formation and Orientation Programme: The Annual 2 weeks orientation and formation programme of the Seminarians of the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode will hold from July 2nd – July 10th, 2021 at the Missionary Society of St. Paul Formation House, Iperu-Remo. We call on all Parishes to co-operate with the Vocations department in order to make this gathering a worthwhile one for the Seminarians.
- Seminarians Pastoral Work Experience 2021: Our Seminarians will begin their annual 6 weeks Pastoral work experience on July 12, 2021 till August 31st 2021. Parish Priests and Priests-in-charge are encouraged to welcome them as brothers and see to their proper formation while working in the Parish.
- Liturgical Commission: The following activities will take place this month. Those involved should take note.
- July 3: Quartely meeting / seminar of all Lectors at Ijebu-Igbo Deanery.
- July 10: Seminar for all Lay leaders on order of service and understanding the Sacraments.
- July 11: General meeting of Mass Servers on denary level at 12pm.
- July 17: General meeting of Diocesan welcoming ministers at St. Anthony Catholic Church, Sagamu.
- CYON: There general meeting of the members of the Catholic Youth Organization, Ijebu-Ode Diocese will come up this month in Ogbere Deanery. Further details about this meeting will be communicated on the Diocesan youth watsapp platform.
- NCWR: The Provincial day celebration of the Nigerian Conference of Women Religious will take place this month in Lagos. All members should kindly take note.
- Family and Human Life Apostolate: Level three training of Marriage counsellors begins this month at St. Francis Catholic Church, Odo-Aye. All other details will be provided by Fr. David-Mary Odunsi.
- Catechetical and Religious Education Department: The office of the Catechetical and Religious Education department has been relocated from Ilado to No. 5 Motubo Street, Ijebu-Ode (the building beside the Presbytery of Sacred Heart Parish, Kajola).
Also, Congregational teaching resumes in all Parishes on Sunday 11th July, 2021.
- Year of Saint Joseph: As part of the events marked out to celebrate the year of St. Joseph in our Diocese, there shall be a one-day symposium on life and lessons of St. Joseph for CMO, CWO and CYON in conjunction with Marriage and Family life department. This symposium will take place on July 24, 2021 at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral. All involved should start preparing for this symposium.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: We congratulate, rejoice and request your prayers for Rev. Frs. Martin Yina, MSP (July 1); Evaristus-Mary Oduntan (July 4); Victor Egwuonwu (July 4); Godwin Imoru (July 4); Reginald-Mario Isama (July 4); Ashinwo John (July 6); John Igwe, CM (July 7); Cyriacus Agbapajuru, CSSp (July 8); John Innocent, MST (July 8); Simon Mayungbe (July 9); Uche Okocha (July 9); Martin Ajayi (July 9); Peter Onabamiro (July 9); Jude Ezeigbo (July 9); Jude Kuti (July 9); Joseph Ogunnupebi (July 9); Titus Adelaja (July 9); Andison Anyanwu (July 10); Albert Igbodipe (July 10); Michael Obafemi (July 10); Charles Shoyege (July 11); Kelvin Okonkwo, CM (July 11); Matthew Oguleru (July 11); Anthony Adebambo (July 11); Michael Oguntade (July 13); Peter Owolabi (July 13); Gabriel Oresegun (July 13); Anthony Odjegba (July 13); Samuel Iyagbe, CMF (July 15); Michael Banjo (July 18); Christopher Ogunnupebi (July 18); Michael Adebanjo (July 18); Emmanuel Matuluko (July 18), whose Priestly Ordination Anniversaries occur this month. May God grant them fulfillment and grace of final perseverance. Ad Multos Annos!
Thank you as I wish you a blessed and fruitful month of July. May God heal our land.
Most Rev. Francis Obafemi ADESINA
Bishop of Ijebu-ode Diocese.