Monthly Bulletin /Circular JUNE, 2022 /035Dominic
TO ALL PRIESTS, RELIGIOUS AND THE LAY FAITHFUL IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE.
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord:
Grace and Peace of Christ be with you.
- The Month of June: I warmly welcome you to the sixth month of the year 2022. In the early part of this month, we shall be celebrating the birthday of the Church at Pentecost (June 5). On Pentecost Sunday, “the Church recalls the gift of the Holy Spirit to the Apostles, the beginning of the Church, and the start of her mission to all tongues and peoples and nations.” As we experience the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, may we be renewed and rekindled with divine love and zeal to bear witness to our faith. Amen
This month of June introduces us to the second part of the Ordinary Time in the Liturgical Calendar of the Church. This period helps us to focus on the Word of God, reflect on the values Jesus lived and taught for our conversion and spiritual growth.
NB: The following important Solemnities occur in this month: Most Holy Trinity (June 12), the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (June 19); Nativity of John the Baptist (June 23) Most Sacred Heart of Jesus (June 24); and Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul (June 29). May our faith be strengthened and nourished through these celebrations. Amen.
- Pope’s Intention for the month of June: Families: Let us pray for Christian families around the world; that they embody and experience unconditional love and advance in holiness in their daily lives.
- Bishop’s Intention for the month of June: For the kidnapped, wounded, oppressed and poor: Let us pray that those who make policies for the masses may prioritize the humanity and reality of the poor, hungry and vulnerable in our nation and world.
- Monthly Novena Prayer: For this month, we are invited to pray the Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in preparation for the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, (June 24), for the intention of our diocese and for peace in the world. This shall begin on Wednesday 15th to Thursday 23rd June, 2022. May I enjoin all Parish Priests, Superiors and Chaplains to kindly ensure that this novena prayer is said in all Parishes, schools, convents and formation houses across the Diocese.
- One Year Memorial of Late Most Rev. Albert Ayinde Fasina: In honour of our erstwhile Bishop, Most Rev. Albert A. Fasina whom God called to eternal rest about a year ago, we shall be gathering as a diocese to celebrate, in thanksgiving to God, a life well spent. The following programme has been designed to take place so as to make this celebration a success:
- Opening Mass by his Lordship, Most Rev. Francis Obafemi Adesina on Sunday, 19 June, 2022, at St. Sebastian Cathedral by 10.00a.m
- Divine Mercy Novena prayer at the Cathedral which shall be concluded with the celebration of the Holy Mass at the house of repose of Bishop Fasina on 20th -28th June at 3.00p.m
- Visitation to Prison, Lepers Colony, Orphanage Homes and the aged across the Diocese on 20th -23rd June, 2022. (Details will be communicated to the different deaneries)
- Quiz Competitions in all Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in the Diocese on 27th June, 2022
- Free Health Check in our Medical Centres on 24 June, 2022
- Grand finale on 29th June, 2022:
- Celebration of the Holy Mass at St. Sebastian Cathedral at 10.00am.
- Prayer at the house of repose
- Inauguration of Bishop Albert Fasina Foundation for the Poor
- Celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation: There shall be the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation on suitable candidates who have been adequately prepared from different parishes across the diocese on Pentecost Sunday, June 5, 2022 at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral, Odo-Egbo, Ijebu-Ode at exactly 11:00a.m
NB: I enjoin us to pray for these candidates as they prepare to receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit in order to be fully initiated into the Christian life.
- Diocesan Prayer Crusade for Priests and Religious: This is a reminder to the appeal made at the beginning of the Year to families within our Diocese to adopt a Priest/Religious for prayer throughout the Year 2022. Families within our Diocese are encouraged to freely choose and adopt a Priest/Religious whom they would be praying for on daily basis throughout this year. Let us all remember to pray for our Priests and Religious daily. We continue to implore Parish Priests to be creative in encouraging and implementing this appeal.
- Ave Maria Pilgrimage Centre, Iwopin: We continue to solicit your generous support towards the renovation of the Ave Maria Pilgrimage Centre, Iwopin. I am pleased to inform you that we have begun serious work on the site and we need a lot of money to sustain and complete this project. We sincerely appreciate all those who have contributed generously towards this project as we wish to appeal to individuals, families, societies, parishes and stations who are yet, to support this project of rebuilding a Pilgrimage Centre for the Blessed Virgin Mary in our Diocese with your kind donations. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7). The account details are as follows:
Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 1022812598
Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Construction of a Diocesan Chancery Building: The building of our Diocesan Chancery is ongoing and we have made great progress. We therefore, humbly appeal to Parishes, Institutions, families and benefactors, within and outside the Diocese, who are yet to make their contributions, to financially support this project. We recognize and acknowledge all the contributions and donations already received. May God continue to reward and replenish all our benefactors abundantly.
To support this project of building a befitting Chancery for the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, kindly make your donation(s) to the following Bank Account:
Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 0131027016
- Appreciation: I sincerely thank all Priests, Religious and Laity for the celebration of the 53rd anniversary of the Diocese in your parishes on Sunday 29th May, 2022. Your prayers and generous financial contributions to the growth of the Diocese is highly appreciated. As directed in the previous circular, ‘thanksgiving collections for the Diocesan Anniversary should be forwarded to the chancery.’ Ensure that you collect your receipt for payment.
- Special Collections: Let us remember to take these special collections for this month:
- Peter’s Pence (June 26): This collection is our support to the Universal Mission of the Church. It helps the Holy Father to carry out the works of charity in the Church. Let us endeavor to donate generously.
Priests should kindly ensure that this collection is well publicized, collected and remitted to the Chancery for proper collation.
- Holy Childhood Association: The following HCA programme shall take place this month:
- Diocesan Workshop for Animators on Saturday, June 4. This shall be coordinated by the P.M.S. Director, Rev. Fr. John Aruleba.
- Animation Visit to Our Lady of Assumption Parish, Ikoto June 18,19
- Recitation of Catholic Prayers Competition (RCPC) at Parish level, June 25,26
- Department of Catechesis and Religious Education: The Department shall be organizing a Seminar for all Catechists and Agents of Evangelization in the Diocese on June 18, 2022 at St. Louis Catholic Church, Ijebu-Ife at 11.a.m
- This month’s training programme for Catechists shall take place on June 11, 2022 at the Catechetical Centre, Motubo, Ijebu-Ode at 10.00a.m.
All concerned should endeavor to be punctual.
- Appointment: Rev. Fr. Peter Onabamiro has been appointed Assistant Director of Education. In collaboration with the Director of Education, he will supervise and coordinate all Nursery and Primary Schools in the Diocese (both Diocesan and Religious). We wish him well in his new apostolate.
- Catholic Youth Organization of Nigeria: There shall be a Diocesan CYON General Meeting at St. Michael Catholic Church, Ago-Iwoye on June 11, 2022 at 10.a.m. Diocesan and Parish Executives should endeavour to be in attendance for this meeting.
- Monthly Recollection: Monthly recollection for Bishop and Priests for this month shall take place on Tuesday June 14, 2022 at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Obada, Ijebu-Igbo at 10:00a.m. The theme for this month’s recollection is: “Priestly Life and Ministry in the face of current social challenges: The way forward. All Priests engaged in pastoral work in the Diocese are expected to be punctual and prompt.
- Family and Human Life Apostolate: Family and Human Life Training for Priests and Religious on all Saturdays in June continues at Francis Catholic Church, Odo-Aye.
- The Level 1 training of Marriage Counsellors shall come up on June 18, 2022 at Most Pure Heart Catholic Church, Esure, by 10am prompt.
- NCDPA Meeting: The members of the Nigerian Conference of Diocesan Priests Association, Ijebu-Ode Diocese will be having their meeting this month on Tuesday June 21, 2022 at Holy Angels Catholic Church, Oke-Agbo, exactly 10am. All concerned should be informed and be punctual.
- Association of Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary: The diocesan body of the Association of Sacred of Jesus and Immaculate of Mary shall be celebrating their Feast on Friday 24 to Saturday June 25, 2022 at St. Anthony Catholic Church, Ayegbami, Sagamu by 9am. All members of the Association should be in attendance.
- Consecrated Men and Women : The Consecrated persons working in the Diocese will be having an interactive session with the Bishop, Most Rev. Francis Obafemi Adesina on Saturday 25th June, 2022 at St. Patrick Formation House by 10:00a.m
- Submission of 2022 Report: This is to inform all Heads of Department, Institutions and Presidents of various Organizations like CMO, CWO, CYON and HCA of the submission of a comprehensive report of activities done in the first half of the year 2022 (January – June 2022). This report is expected to be a detailed summary of events done and pictures to accompany it. It should be submitted both in printed copies and soft copies to the office of the Bishop through the Chancellor on or before July 10, 2022. This is obligatory and all those concerned should take note.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: We congratulate, rejoice and request your prayers for Rev. Frs. Peter Ireorji, MSP (June 21); Patrick Nnamani, MSP (June 21); Isaac Shemang, MSP (June 21); Michael Eninlejie, MSP (June 22); Emmanuel Braimoh, MSP (June 23); John Okwui Anih, MSP (June 24); Eusebius Obasi, MSP (June 25); James Yakubu, MSP (June 26); Leo Awojinrin (June 26); Michael Ogunyinka (June 26); Victor Adigboluja (June 26) and Jude Okafor (June 26), Daniel Udofia, MSP (June 27), Joseph Iwobi, CMF (June 29) whose Priestly Ordination Anniversaries occur this month. May God grant them fulfillment and grace of final perseverance. Ad Multos Annos!
- Obsequies of Msgr. Gabriel Kole Ayankoya: With humble resignation to the will of God, we announce the demise of Msgr. Gabriel Kole Ayankoya, the former Vicar General of the Diocese who died on 28th May, 2022. The burial arrangements are as follows:
- Daily Masses at JDPC compound at 5:00p.m on 1st – 8th, June, 2022
- Wake Keep/ Vigil Masses on 9th June, 2022
- 1st Mass at St. Anthony Catholic Church, Sagamu at 2:00p.m
- 2nd Mass at St. Sebastian Cathedral, Ijebu-Ode at 6:00p.m
- 3rd Mass at St. Sebastian Cathedral, Ijebu-Ode at 9:00p.m
- Funeral Mass on June 10, 2022 at St. Sebastian Cathedral, Ijebu-Ode at 10:00a.m
- Final commendation and Interment at Cathedral Cemetery immediately after mass.
I enjoin us to kindly pray for the happy repose of his soul as individuals, groups and parishes.
- Necrology for the Month of June: Kindly pray for the repose of the souls of the following who have fought the good fight of faith and have gone home to eternal rest:
- Most Rev. Albert Ayinde Fasina; former bishop of Ijebu-Ode Diocese: died on 29th June, 2021
- Rt. Rev. Msgr. Sylvester Adekoya; a priest of Ijebu-Ode Diocese: died on 16th June, 2018
May their souls and the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen
Thank you and do have a spirit-filled and fruitful month of June.
Most Rev. Francis Obafemi ADESINA
Bishop of Ijebu-ode Diocese.Click here to download a copy of June, 2022 Circluar