Monthly Bulletin /Circular MAY, 2021 /022Dominic
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord:
- The Month of May: It is my great joy to welcome you to the 5th month of the year, the month of May. May the month bring us glad tidings and answered prayers. This month is usually associated with the time of spring when plants really starts to grow. May we experience growth in all ramifications this month and beyond. Amen. The month of May is filled with celebrations both in the Church and in the country. We begin the month with the celebration of Workers Day on the 1st of May, in which we are called to reflect on the life of St. Joseph the worker. St. Joseph was faithful in taking care of the Holy Family and committed to his duty not just as a father but also as a carpenter. May all workers reap the fruits of their labour. Amen. Also, this month, our Muslim brothers and sisters will be celebrating the Id-el-Fitr, the end of the Ramadan fast. May God accept their prayers for peace and security in our country.
In the Church, we celebrate important Solemnities this month. They include: the Ascension of the Lord (May 13), a reminder that where Jesus has gone, we too hope to be someday. It is a Holy day of Obligation. Attending Mass and reception of the Holy Communion is highly recommended. The Solemnity of Pentecost (May 23), takes place 10 days after Ascension. On this day we celebrate not just the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles, but the birth of the Church. The Holy Trinity Sunday (May 30) reminds us of the fundamental dogma, that there are three persons in one Godhead. Also, we celebrate important feasts of Mary and the Apostles this month. They include: Mary Mother of the Church (May 24); Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (May 31); St. Philip and James (May 3) and St. Matthias (May 14). As we celebrate these feasts and memorials this month, we reflect on the lives of the saints and draw lessons from them.
- Pope’s Intention for the month of May 2020: The world of finance: Let us pray that those in charge of finance will work with governments to regulate the financial sphere and protect citizens from its dangers.
- Bishop’s Intention for the month of May 2021:Thanksgiving, Spiritual renewal and pastoral growth in the Diocese: That God will grant us a renewed strength and vigour as we celebrate the 52nd year anniversary of the creation of this Diocese.
- Month of May: A time to pray the Rosary: In the Catholic Tradition, the month of May is a month dedicated to the daily recitation of the Rosary. The Holy Father in his letter to the Faithful for the month of May published last year on 25 April 2020, encouraged everyone to rediscover the beauty of praying the Rosary at home in the month of May. In his encyclical, Mense Maio (The Month of May), issued by St. Pope Paul VI on April 29, 1965. He said, “The month of May is the ‘month which the piety of the faithful has specially dedicated to Our Blessed Lady’ and it is the occasion for a moving tribute of faith and love which Catholics in every part of the world pay to the Queen of Heaven. During this month, Christians both in Church and in the privacy of the home, offer up to Mary from their hearts an especially fervent and loving homage of prayer and veneration. In this month, too, the benefits of God’s mercy come down to us from her throne in greater abundance.” As we begin the month of May, let us re-ignite the fire of praying the Rosary daily in our families, communities, Rectories and Churches, asking for the intercession of the Blessed Mother.
- Novena to the Holy Spirit:In continuation of the call for monthly Novena for the intentions of our Diocese, healing of our world from Covid-19 pandemic and in preparation for the Solemnity of Pentecost, kindly endeavor to take part in the Novena to the Holy Spirit which will start on Friday after Ascension till Saturday before Pentecost Sunday (13th May – 23rd May, 2021). May I enjoin all Parish Priests, Superiors and Chaplains to kindly ensure that this novena is carried out in all Parishes, schools, convents and formation houses across the Diocese.
- Liturgical Directive: In accordance with the directive of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, “one” is to be removed before “God, forever and ever” in collects and other prayers. The CBCN has instructed that this directive comes into effect in Nigeria as from the Solemnity of the Holy Trinity Sunday, May 30, 2021.
- Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Iwopin: We appreciate all those who have contributed to the renovation of the Marian Pilgrimage Center with their kind donations. This is an important spiritual patrimony in our Diocese, we therefore appeal to individuals, families, societies, parishes and stations to support this course of rebuilding Ave Maria Pilgrimage center with your kind donations. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7). The account details is as follows:
Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 1022812598
Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Construction of a Diocesan Chancery Building:The building of our Diocesan Chancery is ongoing. We call on all Parishes, Institutions, families and benefactors both within and outside the Diocese to financially support this project. To support this project of constructing a befitting Chancery for the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, kindly make your donation to the following Bank Account:
Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
Account Number: 0131027016
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these special collections for the month of May:
- World Communication Sunday collection (May 16): This collection is geared towards supporting the work of the Social Communications in Nigeria and our Diocese. Do well to donate generously.
Priests should kindly ensure that these collections are well publicized, collected and remitted to the Chancery for proper collation.
- Priests Monthly Recollection: The Priests’ monthly recollection for 2021 resumes this month. This will take place on Tuesday May 11, 2021 at St. Francis Catholic Church, Ibefun, starting at exactly 10:00am. The theme for this month’s recollection is “Master, teach us how to pray: A Spiritual Meditation.” All Priests engaged in pastoral work in the Diocese are expected to be present at this Recollection.
- Presbyteral Council Meeting: The Priest Council meeting will take place on Tuesday May 25, 2021 at Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church, Esure, starting at exactly 10am.
- 52nd Diocesan Thanksgiving: Our Diocese will be celebrating 52 years of existence as a Diocese on Saturday, May 29, 2021. The celebration shall take place at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral starting with the Holy Mass by 10am. We implore all Parishes and Institutions to kindly cooperate with the planning committee and make this celebration a laudable one.
- Sacrament of Confirmation: The Bishop will administer the Sacrament of Confirmation on deserving and prepared candidates across the Diocese as follows:
May 9, 2021: Sacred Heart Catholic College and Our Lady of Apostles Secondary School (Private) Students.
May 16, 2021: Christ the King Catholic College and Saint Anthony Grammar School (Private) Students.
May 23, 2021: Ijebu-Ode and Iloti Deaneries
May 30, 2021: Sagamu and Iperu Deaneries
June 6, 2021: Ijebu-Igbo Deanery
June 13, 2021: Esure Deanery
June 20, 2021: Ogbere Deanery
All Deans, school Principals and Chaplains are to kindly ensure they liaise with the Director of Religious Education and Catechesis for proper planning and examination of Candidates to receive the Sacrament.
- Liturgical Commission: The following activities will take place this month. Those involved should take note.
- May 1: Quarterly meeting/ Seminar for Diocesan Board of Lectors at Ijebu-Igbo Deanery center.
- May 8: General meeting of all lay leaders and registration of new lay leaders at St. Timothy Catholic Church, Degun by 10am.
- May 9: General meeting of Mass Servers at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, Ikoto starting by 12pm.
- Holy Childhood Association: There shall be HCA Animation visit to the following Parishes in the Ijebu-Igbo Deanery in the month of May. They are: Holy Trinity, Imomo (May 8-9); Holy Angels, Oke-Agbo (May 8-9); Holy Trinity, Awa-Ilaporu (May 15-16); St. Joseph, Oru (May 15-16).
- Block Rosary Crusade: The Diocesan Annual Congress and Enrollment of Brown Scapular will hold from May 14-16, 2021 at the City of Immaculate, Aiyepe road, Sagamu.
- CYON: The Diocesan Council meeting of the members of the Catholic Youth Organization of Nigeria, Ijebu-Ode Diocese will come up on May 8, 2021 at a venue to be communicated later. All concerned should take note.
- Family and Human Life Apostolate: The department of the Family and Human Life of the Diocese will be having the following events in the month of May 2021:
- The level one training and examination of Marriage Counsellors will come up on May 15, 2021 at St. Francis Catholic Church, Odo-Aye by 10am prompt.
- The 2nd Quarterly meeting of the department will hold on May 7, 2021 at St. Francis Catholic Church, Odo-Aye.
Diocesan Marriage Summit will hold on May 22, 2021 at St. Sebastian Catholic Cathedral Hall. The theme for this summit is, “Parenting and Responsible Parenthood in the light of Amoris Laetitia”. In view of this Diocesan Summit, Parish Priests are encouraged to send names of two couples from their respective Parishes who could be considered for an award.
- Appointments: The following have been appointed into various offices and Commissions in the Diocese. The Appointment takes effect immediately. They are:
- Rev. Fr. Joseph Ogunnupebi – Director of Religious Education and Catechesis
- Rev. Fr. Matthew Oguleru – Director of Lay Apostolate and Chaplain, Diocesan Laity Council.
- Diocesan Vocations Commission:
- Rev. Fr. Michael Ogunyinka Vocations Director / Chairman
- Fr. Hector Osifeko Member
- Rev. Fr. Albert Osunlaja Member
- Rev. Fr. John Anih, MSP Member
- Sr. Monica Adeya, SSL Member
- Sr. Beatrice Nwachukwu Secretary
- Dr. Afolashade Ilori Member
- Dr. Sylvester Eze Member
- Diocesan Catechetical Commission:
- Fr. Joseph Ogunnupebi Chairman
- Sr. Juliana Egbekele SSL Secretary
- Fr. Patrick Ajewole Member
- Fr. David-Mary Odunsi Member
- Fr. Matthew Oguleru Member
- Mr. Cyril Adje (Catechist) Member
- Mr. Albert Ejembi (Catechist) Member
- Mr. Peter Oseghale Member
- Mrs. Henrietta Obidun Member
We thank and appreciate Msgr. Victor Ajayi, the former Director of Lay Apostolate and Chaplain of the Diocesan Laity council and Rev. Fr. Matthew Oguleru, the former Director of Religious Education and Catechesis, for the great work they did while performing their respective roles.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: Kindly remember to pray for and with Rev. Fr. Michael Ogunniyi, SDB (May 26) as he marks the anniversary of his Priestly Ordination. May God grant him more fruitful years in the Lord’s vineyard. Amen.
- Sincere appreciation for your prayers and good wishes on the occasion of my second Episcopal Ordination Anniversary last month. May the Lord uphold us in His ministry and bestow His blessings upon you always. Amen.
- Bereavement: The entire Diocese commiserate with Sr. Patience Nwokenkwo, CP, on the demise of her beloved mother, Late Mrs. Sabina Nwokenkwo. She will be laid to rest in her home town later this month. May God grant her eternal rest and grant the family she left behind, the fortitude to bear the loss. Amen.
Thank you as I wish you a blessed and fruitful month of May. May God heal our land.
Most Rev. Francis Obafemi ADESINA
Bishop of Ijebu-ode Diocese.Click here to download the May 2021 Circular