OCTOBER 2019 DIOCESAN CIRCULARadmin
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord: OCTOBER 2019 DIOCESAN CIRCULAR Grace and Peace of the Lord be with you.
1: The month of October: Welcome to the month of October. It is a month when we remember and celebrate the Independence Day of our country Nigeria. On the first day of the month, we celebrate 59 years as an independent nation. Although we are not where we should be, but we can’t give up because we are sure that God remains part of our journey. As such, in this special month of October that we dedicate to the daily recitation of the holy Rosary, I enjoin us all to add to the Rosary, Prayer for Spiritual Renewal for our Diocese and Prayer for Nigeria in distress. Let us make it a daily duty to pray for our Diocese and for country Nigeria. For peace to reign in our land. I equally enjoin all Parish Priests to revive the Liturgical culture of Eucharistic Adoration: BENEDICTION. This should take place in all Parishes and Institutions across the Diocese every Sunday evening to intercede for our country Nigeria and pray for healing, unity and renewed commitment to evangelization in Ijebu-Ode Diocese.
The month of October is set aside to celebrate the Extraordinary month of Missions. I invite you to take part in all the activities marked out for this mission Celebration. The prayer for the Extraordinary Missionary month of October should be said after the daily recitation of the Rosary throughout this month.
PRAYER FOR THE EXTRAORDINARY MISSIONARY MONTH OCTOBER:
Heavenly Father, when your only begotten Son Jesus Christ rose from the dead, he commissioned his followers to “go and make disciples of all nations” and you remind us that through our Baptism we are made sharers in the mission of the Church. Empower us by the Holly Spirit to be courageous and zealous in bearing witness to the Gospel, so that the mission entrusted to the church, which is still very far from completion, may find new efficacious expressions that bring life and light to the world. Help us make it possible for all peoples to experience the saving love and mercy of Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and in the unity of the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever. Amen.
2: Pope’s Intention for the month of October: The Holy Father, Pope Francis has requested that we pray for A missionary “spring” in the Church, that the breath of the Holy Spirit engender a new missionary “spring” in the Church.
3: Extraordinary Missionary Month of October: To celebrate the Extraordinary Missionary Month in October 2019, there is a great need to be educated on what the celebration is all about. Firstly, the declaration for the extraordinary missionary month of October 2019 is in the wake and remembrance of the 100th year anniversary of the Apostolic Letter of Benedict XV, Maximum Illud of 1919 (Post World War I). Secondly, it is geared towards transforming our missionary outreach. In addition, it is against the spirit of formalism and self-preservation in Mission. Also, it is geared towards having a more evangelical approach to missionary work and awakening the Missionary impulse. Finally, it is meant to renew our missionary commitment through greater awareness, renewed ardor and missionary responsibility.
To actualize these aims of the extraordinary missionary month, there shall be various programmes/ events in parishes and at diocesan levels. Some of them include:
- Recollection/seminar for Priests and Religious on October 1, 2019
- Youth Retreat in every Parish on October 5, 2019
- Home to home visitation/ evangelization by Priests, Religious and Laity in all Parishes on October 6 and 13, 2019
- CMO/CWO Retreat in all Parishes on October 12, 2019
- Mission Sunday celebrations on October 20, 2019. On this Sunday, all collections in all Parishes are to be remitted to the Chancery for onward transmission to the PMS office in Rome.
I strongly encourage active participation in all these activities by Priests, Religious and Lay faithful of the Diocese. We need to be actively involved in the missionary activity of the Church. We are flag bearers in our respective Parishes and Communities.
4: Submission of activities for the year 2020: This to remind all Departmental Heads, Chaplains and all those in charge of various commission in the Diocese to kindly submit a copy of their proposed programmes/activities for 2020. The deadline for submission is October 31, 2019. Both the hardcopy and softcopy of the activities should be submitted to the Secretary to the Bishop, Fr. Augustine Adetola.
- October Devotion: During this month of October, let us endeavor to practice the daily recitation of the Rosary. Parishes and Catholic Families should come together and pray the Rosary daily for the good of the country and of the Church at large. On the last Friday in October, there shall be a vigil to end the October Devotion at the City of Immaculate, Aiyepe road, Sagamu. The Pastoral Commission of the Diocese will see to its organization.
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these various special collections for the month of October and ensure that we submit them on time to the Chancery for proper collation. They are: Catechetical week (October 13) and Mission Sunday, October 20 (All collections made on this day are to be forwarded to the Chancery quamprimum).
- Priests monthly Recollection: Due to the Extraordinary Missionary celebrations taking place in the month of October, the Priests’ monthly recollection will take place on October 1, 2019 at Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, Orita J6. This recollection/seminar will involve all Priests and Religious (both male and female) working in the Diocese.
- NCDPA Meeting: The meeting of Nigerian Conference of Diocesan Priests Association, Ijebu-Ode Diocese will hold on October 15, 2019 at St. Mary Catholic Church, Ogbere by 10am. This meeting is important for all Diocesan Priests working in Ijebu-Ode Diocese.
- Catechesis and Religious Department: To celebrate the World Teacher’s Day, there shall be a special mass for all teachers in the diocese at the Ave Maria Catechetical Centre, Ilado on October 5, 2019, by 11 am. All teachers are encouraged to make it a date at this gathering.
- National Catechetical Week 2019: This year’s catechetical week shall take place from October 6 to October 13, 2019. This is expected to be a week long activities in all parishes in the Diocese. Parish Priests should organize this programme with their Parishioners and make it a befitting celebration.
- Family and Human Life Department: Level two training of Marriage Counsellors will take place at St. Anthony Catholic Church, Ejinrin road on October 19, 2019 by 10:00am. All those concerned should take note.
- Societal Information:
- There shall be an annual general meeting of all Welcoming Ministers in the Diocese at Saint Sebastian Catholic Cathedral on October 12, 2019 after the 10:00am mass. Let all those involved endeavor to be at this important meeting.
- The Association of Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary, Ijebu-Ode Diocese will be having her solemn admission at St. Peter Catholic Church, Oke-Sopen, Ijebu-Igbo on October 20, 2019.
- Transfers/ Further Studies for Priests:
- Rev. Fathers Victor Egwuonwu, Michael Oguntade and Charles Shoyege will proceed on further studies to obtain Licentiate/ Masters degrees in Pastoral Theology, Canon Law and Pastoral Communication respectively at the Catholic Institute of West Africa (CIWA). We wish them well in their studies as they leave the Diocese this month to resume at the Institute.
- In order to fill up the space left by the Priests going on further studies, the following Priests have been assigned to the vacant Parishes. They are:
- Rev. Fr. Joseph Ogunnupebi assigned to Sacred Heart Catholic Parish, Kajola as Priest-in-charge
- Rev. Fr. Alfred-Matthew Nworie assigned to Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Parish, Atan as Priest-in-charge.
- Rev. Fr. Henry Osobor assigned to Saint Anne Catholic Parish, Itasin-Imobi as Priest-in-charge. We wish them well in their new assignments and pray that their mission in these Parishes will be fruitful and fulfilled.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: Rejoice and pray for and with Fr. Peter Ayanbadejo and myself as we celebrate our Priestly Ordination Anniversary on October 14.
Thank you as I wish you a blessed and fruitful month of October.