OCTOBER 2020 DIOCESAN CIRCULARadmin
TO ALL PRIESTS AND RELIGIOUS WORKING IN THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF IJEBU-ODE, AND THE LAY FAITHFUL
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Lord:
1: The Month of October: Welcome to the month of October, the tenth month of the year. The month begins with the celebration of the 60th year anniversary of Nigeria as an independent nation. We thank God for the journey of 60 years as an independent nation. As God’s children and people of hope, we shall continue to pray for a better Nigeria that the next generation will be proud of.
As a Church in Nigeria, October 1st is another opportunity to entrust our country to the Maternal care of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Queen and Patroness of our Country to intercede for us always. The month of October is dedicated to the daily recitation of the Rosary. I implore us all to be faithful and committed to this in our various families, Parishes, Institutions and Rectories. The rosary is a powerful tool to overcome the vices of the wicked ones. During the month of October, we celebrate the feast of Our Guardian Angels (Oct. 2) and Our Lady of the Rosary (Oct. 7) and lives of some saints like: St. Therese of the Child Jesus (Oct. 3); St. Theresa of Avila (Oct. 15); St. Ignatius of Antioch (Oct. 17) and Saints Simon and Jude (Oct. 28). May their intercession over us remain assured always. Amen.
2: Pope’s Intention for the month of October 2020: The Laity’s Mission in the Church: ‘The Pope invites us to pray that by the virtue of baptism, the laity — men and women, may participate more in areas of responsibility in the Church.
3: Novena for the month of October: In continuation of the request for a monthly Novena for the intention of our Diocese and indeed the whole world as we battle the pandemics of COVID-19, I invite you to take up the novena to Our Lady, Undoer of Knots for the month of October. The novena will commence on October 5 – October 13, 2020 in all Churches, Convents, Houses of Formation, Institutions and families.
4: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Iwopin: Since the circular of April, there has been a constant request to support the renovation of the Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center with our kind donations. This is to remind individuals, families, societies, parishes and stations to support this course of rebuilding our Pilgrimage center with your kind donations. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7). The account details is as follows:
- Account Name: Ave Maria Pilgrimage Center, Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
- Account Number: 1022812598
- Bank: United Bank for Africa (UBA)
5: Construction of a Diocesan Chancery Building: For the past 51 years of the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, the Diocese has been making use of the Bishop House and now some offices in the JDPC Complex as chancery for the day-to-day running of the Diocese. It has become necessary and expedient at this stage to build a Chancery where the daily administrative activities of the Diocese will be carried out. As such, I am calling on all Parishes, Institutions, families and benefactors both within and outside the Diocese to financially support this project. The preliminary works has already begun on the proposed site. To support this project of constructing a befitting Chancery for the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode, kindly make your donation to the following Bank Account:
- Account Name: Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode
- Account Number: 0131027016
- Bank: FCMB
6: Update of Diocesan Directory for 2021: A new directory for the Diocese will be produced before the end of the year. All Parish Priests and Chaplains are to check the 2017 edition and the website www.ijebuodecatholicdiocese.org to see if there are any addition that needs to be made in the new one. Kindly forward your updates or observation to Fr. Augustine Adetola or any member of the Social Communication Commission.
- Diocesan Pastoral Council: We thank God for the success of the first meeting of the newly constituted Diocesan Pastoral Council which was held on Saturday, 26th September, 2020. The following persons have been elected and appointed to lead the Diocesan Pastoral Council for the next four years in accordance with the Statutes:
- Barrister Segun Ashaye: Chairperson
- Dr. Tayo Omoniyi: Vice-Chairperson
- Mr. Anthony Adekogbe: Secretary
- Mrs. Mary Adeleye: Assistant Secretary
- Sir Augustine Odukoya: Finance Officer
- Priests Monthly Recollection for October: The Priests’ monthly recollection will take place on Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at St. Kizito Catholic Church, Iwopin, starting at exactly 10:00am. The theme for this month’s recollection is “Be still and know that I am God” All Priests engaged in pastoral work in the Diocese are expected to be present at this prayer gathering.
- NCDPA Meeting: This is to remind all Diocesan Priests in Ijebu-Ode Diocese of their quarterly meeting coming up on Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Egbe. The meeting will start at exactly 10:00am. All Diocesan Priests are enjoined to be part of this meeting.
- Visitation of the Bishop to Diocesan owned Hospitals: As part of the Canonical Pastoral Visitation of the Bishop to Parishes, Schools and Hospitals, the Bishop will be making his Canonical Pastoral Visitation to the following Hospitals to meet with the Management and staff of the Health facilities:
- Saint Mary Eye Hospital Friday, October 2, 2020
- Saint Joseph Catholic Hospital Tuesday, October 6, 2020
- Rufina Medical Centre Wednesday, October 7, 2020
- Catholic Optical Outreaches Thursday, October 8, 2020
- Submission of 2020 Report: This is to inform all Heads of Department, Institutions and Presidents of various Organizations like CMO, CWO, CYON and HCA that there will be need to submit a comprehensive report of activities done in the year 2020. This report is expected to be detailed containing the summary of what was done and pictures to back it up. It will be submitted both in printed copies and soft copies to the Vicar for Pastoral Affairs on or before December 10, 2020. This is an obligatory annual report and all those concerned should take note.
- Submission of activities for the year 2021: This is to remind all Departmental Heads, Chaplains and all those in charge of various commission in the Diocese to kindly submit a copy of their proposed programmes/activities for 2021. The deadline for submission is November 30, 2020. Both the hardcopy and softcopy of the activities should be submitted to the Chancellor.
- October Devotion: During this month of October, let us endeavor to practice the daily recitation of the Rosary. Parishes and Catholic Families should come together and pray the Rosary daily for the good of the country and of the Church at large.
- Special Collections: Let us remember to collect these various special collections for the month of October and ensure that we submit them on time to the Chancery for proper collation. They are: Catechetical week (October 11) and Mission Sunday, (October 18). All collections made on this day are to be forwarded to the Chancery quamprimum.
- World Mission Sunday: The World Mission Sunday 2020 will come up on October 18, 2020. This is to encourage all parishes and Institutions to participate actively in the celebration of this year’s World Mission Sunday and contribute generously for the work of Evangelization. All collections on this day are to be remitted fully to the Chancery.
- 25th Anniversary of Religious Profession: We rejoice and celebrate with Sr. Roseline Abiola Ogunbanwo, SSL, from St. Mary Parish, Ogbere as she marks 25 years in the Religious life. The celebration in her home parish, St. Mary Catholic Church, Ogbere will come up on October 25, 2020.
- Transfers/Study: Rev. Fr. Leo Awojinrin — To study Canon Law at Facolta di Diritto Canonico San Pio X, Venezia, Italy. We wish him well and success in his new mission.
- New Arrivals in the Diocese:
- We welcome Very Rev. Fr. Sylvester Onasanya back to the Diocese from his mission in the Archdiocese of Lagos. He will take up residence as Pastor of Most Pure Heart of Mary, Esure from Monday 5th October, 2020
- We also welcome to the diocese Sr. Anthonia Onuegbu, HHCJ and Sr. Esther Njoku, HHCJ of the Sisters of the Holy Handmaids of the Child Jesus. We wish them a happy and fruitful stay in the Diocese. Amen.
- Priestly Ordination Anniversary: We congratulate, rejoice and request your prayers for myself and Rev. Fr. Peter Ayanbadejo as we celebrate our Priestly Ordination Anniversary on October 14. Kindly remember us in your prayers.
Thank you as I wish you a blessed and fruitful month of October. May God heal our land.